Free, full Thanksgiving meal and beverages to be provided to residents in need:
Tierra Coffee Roasters in Albany, NY will provide a full, free Thanksgiving meal for those in need on Thanksgiving Day from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at its Madison Avenue location (1038 Madison Avenue, Albany)
“We are thankful this time of year to be fortunate enough to provide for those in need of a warm place to celebrate and a warm meal,” said Darren Grout, CEO of Tierra Farm. This is the third year that the café has provided free meals for the homeless on Thanksgiving. Employees of the Tierra Farm family of businesses, which includes Tierra Coffee Roasters, Tierra Farm, and the Madison Theater, will be volunteering to prepare and serve the meals.
For more about Tierra Coffee Roasters, please visit tierracoffeeroasters.net.
The Dorset Fire Department is currently seeking additional members interested in joining the fire service and serving the Dorset community. No experience necessary, but would be helpful. Training is available. If you’re looking to support your community and become a member of the department please call 802-867-5311 or on Facebook: Dorset Fire Dept. or email your inquiry to email@example.com
The Food Pantry of the Capital District
- The Food Pantries for the Capital District is a coalition of food pantries working together, in a spirit of cooperation, to do together what no one of us could do alone. Our mission is to serve hungry people in the Capital District through member food pantries. We support our pantries by purchasing, collecting and delivering food. We provide a forum for networking, coordination of services, education and training.
- The Albany Fund for Education is a non-profit community organization that enhances opportunities for City School District of Albany students to learn, grow and succeed. It does this through grants and by linking community organizations with a mutual interest in public education.
- ACAE is a not-for-profit organization whose sole mission is to support fine arts, theatre and musical performance by students in the schools of the city of Albany. It is governed by a board with members drawn from the arts, academic and business communities. Board members serve without compensation.
- Members of the larger community can participate in several ways: by becoming Patrons of the organization, by contributing art for ACAE’s periodic auction events, by participating in these auctions, and by serving as members of ACAE’s board. All contributions are fully tax-deductible.
- Teachers in the Albany city schools are invited to submit grant proposals for projects in art, theatre or music.
The Regional Food Bank of Northeastern NY – Learn how you can make a difference…
The mission of the Regional Food Bank is to alleviate hunger and prevent food waste. We work toward this mission by ensuring that all products available for donation reach the Food Bank and are distributed judiciously to our member agencies; by practicing responsible stewardship; and by actively participating in the community to increase awareness of hunger and poverty.
You can donate money, food or just your time, through everything from food drvies to volunteering in an emergency shelter. There’s tons of ways to get involved and help your community. Find out about what local events, and services you can find near you. Check them out at www.regionalfoodbank.net
BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS – SOUTHERN VT
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Bennington County, Vermont, is expanding. Great new mentoring programs are now available in Manchester, Dorset, East Dorset, Danby, Arlington, and Sunderland!
Get involved and have fun. Sign up to be an adult mentor. Or enroll a child ages 5-14 in the program! For just a few hours a month, mentoring gives kids the greatest advantage for a successful life—friendship with a caring adult!
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Bennington County is sponsored by United Counseling Service.
To donate, volunteer, or sign up a youth please contact the Northshire Big Brothers Big Sisters Program Coordinator at 802-442-5491. You’ll be glad you did.
Vermont chapter: (802) 864-9393
Capital District / North Country (518 area code): (518) 782-4673
The Make-A-Wish Foundation® grants wishes to children who are living with a life-threatening illness, to enrich the human experience with Hope, Strength and Joy!
If you know a child with a life-threatening illness , please contact us and…Share the Power of a Wish®!
The Foundation, through personal interview with the child, makes sure that it grants each child his or her special wish. In every case, the entire immediate family is included as part of the wish to help create special family memories. The purpose is to emphasize the joy of the wish fulfilled; not the illness. Neither the child nor family is ever asked to pay for any portion of a fulfilled wish.
Muscular Dystrophy Association
More than 40 different life-threatening neuromuscular diseases exist. Tens of thousands of Americans are battling with some neuromuscular disease. The Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) is a voluntary health agency. It is a dedicated partnership between scientists and concerned citizens aimed at conquering neuromuscular diseases. MDA combats neuromuscular diseases through programs of worldwide research, comprehensive medical and community services, and far-reaching professional and public health education. For more information or to donate time or money to the cause call 802-863-6434 or 518-489-5494 or visit the website at www.mdausa.org.
Habitat for Humanity
Be constructive- build a house with Habitat for Humanity. Habitat for Humanity is a non-profit organization that works to build quality affordable housing in partnership with needy families. Each family works many hours of labor by helping with the construction, but they can’t do it alone. You can help by sharing your time and talent. Both skilled and unskilled volunteers are needed at the construction site and as Habitat ambassadors in the community. You can also help by donating money, construction materials, and expertise in many different areas.
Donations are welcome, needed, and greatly appreciated. For more information on how you can help call (802) 442-3717 or visit them online.
Aids Project of Southern Vermont
AIDS Project of Southern Vermont has an HIV rapid testing program in Southwestern Vermont. We are trying to urge all people to get tested and know their HIV status. For more information call 802-447-8007.